Religion Quiz Questions and Answers
Top 100 General Religion Quiz Questions and Answers Part 1
1) Of which country is Taoism a native religion?
2) What European city first heard Christian preaching?
3) Which religious leader is known as “The Enlightened One”?
Answer: Gautama Buddha.
4) What is the meaning of the word ‘Buddha’?
Answer: Enlightened one.
5) Which saint is believed to have introduced Christianity in India?
Answer: Saint Thomas.
6) In which year Christianity is believed to have introduced in India?
Answer: About A.D. 50.
7) The ‘Torah’ is the sacred book of which religious people?
Answer: The Jews.
8) On which mountain did God give Moses the ‘Ten Commandments’?
Answer: Mount Sinai.
9) Which French philosopher founded ‘Positivism’ which is also known as the ‘Religion of Humanity’?
Answer: Auguste Comte.
10) What is the holy book of the ‘Zoroastrians or the Parsi people called?
Answer: The Zend Avesta.
11) Which philosophical doctrine believes that since the world is the creation of divine law, it is man’s duty to accept his fate?
12) What is the name of the Mountain that Noah’s Ark rest on after the flood?
13) What is the name of the theory that Gods of mythology were originally heroic mortals?
14) Which religious movement was started by Theodor Herzl, aiming to establish a Jewish State in Palestine?
15) Hazratbal Shrine Mosque is situated at which place?
16) Where is the famous Buddhist temple of Borobudur?
17) The Konark temple is dedicated to which God?
18) In which state the famous Dilwara temples are situated?
19) The famous Amarnath Shrine is in which state?
Answer: Jammu & Kashmir.
20) The famous Konark temple is located in which state?
Religion Quiz Questions and Answers Part 2 (Quiz 21-40)
21) The book of Islamic religion called:
Answer: The Quran.
22) With which system of Indian philosophy is Kapila associated?
Answer: Sankhya System.
23) What is Sankhya system?
Answer: About evolution. According to this system the whole universe has evolved out of one cosmic energy.
24) In which religion do men take the last name ‘Singh’ and women ‘Kaur’?
25) “Be ye lamps unto yourselves, betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the truth as a lamp, hold fast as refuge to the truth”. Who said these words?
Answer: Gautama Buddha.
26) What does the name “Jesus” means?
Answer: “Jehovah is salvation”; Matt. 1;21.
27) What was Modern Sarnath, near Varanasi, called during Buddha’s time?
Answer: Isipatana, where Buddha taught his first sermon.
28) What is Buddha’s Middle path?
Answer: A path between the two extremes of self-indulgence and self-mortification.
29) What, in the Christian church, occurs 49 days before Whitsunday and 40 days after Shrove Tuesday?
30) In which religion adherents must visit Mecca at least once in a lifetime?
31) What is the name of the Vatican’s Army?
Answer: The Swiss Guard.
32) Who was the first woman to be obtained in the Buddhist order?
Answer: Mahapajapati, Buddha’s maternal aunt and his mother’s sister who had brought him up after his mother’s death.
33) Which are the Triratna s (three jewels) of Buddhism?
Answer: Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
34) What does the term “Digambara” mean?
Answer: The sky-clad.
35) Which book of the Bible comes after Acts?
36) Which is the mother of religion of Christianity and Islam?
Answer: Judaism, the religion of the Jews.
37) Moslems are the adherents of which religion?
38) In the Jewish religion what is the ‘Bar and bat mitzvah’?
Answer: The religious coming-of-age of a 13-year-old boy.
39) The followers of which religion observe the Sabbath from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday?
40) In which religion the Gods Brahma, Vishnu and Siva are worshipped?
Religion Quiz Questions and Answers Part 3 (Quiz 41-60)
41) In Buddhism, what is the name for the attainment of perfect serenity, achieved when all desires are eradicated?
42) What is the longest chapter in the Bible?
Answer: Ps. 119 (176 verses).
43) Who founded Judaism?
44) At what age Mahavira died?
Answer: At the age of 72 years.
45) Name the place where Mahavira died:
Answer: Pawa, near Rajgir.
46) What does the word ‘Islam’ literally mean?
Answer: Submission or surrender to the will of the God.
47) What does the term ‘Sikh’ mean?
Answer: A disciple of the One True God.
48) What Book of the Bible means “the Going Forth”?
49) Who has been Guru Nanak’s companion in his younger days?
Answer: Mardana, a Muslim rebec player and music composer, who helped Nanak to organize Kirtans or community singing of devotional songs.
50) Who has been the last Guru of the Sikhs?
Answer: Guru Gobind Singh.
51) Who compiled the Adi Granth?
Answer: Guru Arjun Dev in the year 1604.
52) Who is the Patron Saint of shoe-makers whose feast day is celebrated on the 25th October?
Answer: Saint Crispin.
53) Which movement within the Christian Church is working towards its eventual reunification?
Answer: Ecumenical movement.
54) In which religion ‘Saraswathy’ and ‘Lekshmi’ play a major role and what are they?
Answer: The Hindu Religion – they are Goddesses.
55) Which God of Indus Valley Civilization is regarded as prototype of Siva?
Answer: The horned God surrounded by the animals.
56) In Genesis 6:14, who was told, by God, to build an Ark?
57) What was Saint Ramanuja’s teaching?
Answer: That the best means of liberation is devotion, and the best Yoga is Bhakti Yoga.
58) What are the Buddhist scriptures called?
Answer: Tripiṭaka (the three baskets) They are Vinaya Piṭaka, Sutta Pitaka and Abhidhamma Piṭaka.
59) What are the Jain scriptures called?
Answer: Agmas (precepts) or Siddhantas.
60) Mention the Triad, the corner stone of Zoroastrians faith or Zoroastrianism?
Answer: “Humta, hukhta and hrarshta”, that is good thoughts, good words and good deeds.
Religion Quiz Questions and Answers Part 4 (Quiz 61-80)
61) How did Hinduism tried to make Buddha a part of its all-embracing faith?
Answer: Hinduism claims that Buddha was the 9th incarnation of Vishnu.
62) In which language Jesus preached?
Answer: In Aramaic language.
63) Who founded Confucianism?
64) What book in the Bible is the longest in terms of words?
65) What is Confucianism’s golden rule?
Answer: Do to others as you would be done by others.
66) Which is the only Hindu kingdom in the world?
67) Who was the earliest preacher of Christianity in India?
Answer: Saint Thomas.
68) What were the first man Adam and the first woman Eve forbidden to eat?
Answer: The fruit of the tree of knowledge.
69) Who was the Guru of Saint Kabir?
Answer: Swami Ramanand.
70) An Arabic word meaning poor, was given to a Hindu or Moslem holy man who led an ascetic life. What was the word?
71) Who was Swami Dayananda Saraswati?
Answer: The founder of Arya Samaj.
72) What was the name of Buddha’s horse?
73) Who was Buddha’s Charioteer?
74) What are the other names of the Sea of Galilee?
Answer: Sea of Chinnereth (Num. 34:11); Lake of Gennesaret (Luke 5:1); Sea of Tiberias (John 6:1).
75) Who was the woman who one day turned up to Buddha with her dead child begging Buddha to revive him?
Answer: Kisa Gotami.
76) In Muslim countries what is the custom known as ‘Purdah’?
Answer: The veiling of women and keeping them screened from the sight of strangers.
77) Who is the Patron Saint of children?
Answer: Saint Nicholas.
78) The Indian the practice of ‘Sati’ was prohibited in 1829 because it was considered to be barbaric of. What did it consist?
Answer: A widow burning herself on her husband’s funeral pyre.
79) In Exodus 17, what tribe did God say He will war with for generation to generation?
80) In which country of the world would you find adherents of the Coptic Church?
Answer: Egypt or Ethiopia.
Religion Quiz Questions and Answers Part 5 (Quiz 81-100)
81) In a Church or a Cathedral you would find a ‘reredos’ and what is it?
Answer: An ornamental screen at the back of the altar or communion table.
82) Which religion, established in India about 500 B.C, has followers who strive for enlightenment?
83) The members of which Christian sect have no ministers or priests and gather for worship in a Meeting House?
Answer: Quakers (Society of Friends).
84) Which members of the Christian Church believe that Christ will make a second appearance on the Earth?
85) What is the Pentateuch?
Answer: “Pentateuch” (meaning five books) is the first five Books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
86) What is the name of the established Church of Scotland which follows a Calvinistic doctrine?
87) The name of which religion translates as “Submission”:
88) At which Sikh shrine was the Khalsa initiated by Guru Gobind Singh?
Answer: Anandpur Sahib.
89) Romain Rolland wrote a book on Swami Ramakrishna and his spiritual experiences. Give the name of the book:
Answer: Prophets of the New India.
90) What are the first five book of the Bible?
Answer: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.
91) A great saint of Bengal realized God both in personal and impersonal forms and according to the paths shown by Hindu, Christian and Muslim faiths. Who was he?
Answer: Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa.
92) Name the four Yugas described in the Hindu Shastras:
Answer: Krita Yuga, Treta Yuga, Dvapara Yuga and Kali Yuga.
93) What is the duration of Kali Yuga?
Answer: 4,32,000 years.
94) What is the Indigenous religion of Japan?
95) What is the informal name for the members of the Unification Church, founded by a Korean in 1954?
96) What colourful festival is celebrated on and named after Shrove Tuesday, the day before the Lenten fast?
Answer: Mardi Gras.
97) What was the name of the prophet on whose book Joseph Smith founded the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
98) In what book of the Bible is the benediction beginning, “Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling”?
Answer: In Jude, the last two verses.
99) Which Christian religious order was founded by Ignatius of Loyola?
100) What Book of the Bible tells about the origin of the Sabbath?
Answer: Genesis (2:1-3).