Top Astronomy Quiz Questions and Answers
Top Astronomy Quiz Questions and Answers
Top 50 Astronomy Questions with Answers
1) Which are the two Auroras?
Answer: Aurora Borealis in the North Polar region and Aurora Australis in the South Polar region.
2) Which invention was an epoch-making event in the history of astronomy?
Answer: Optical telescope.
3) When did the last solar eclipse of 20th century occur?
Answer: 1999 August 11.
4) Nadir means the point directly below an observer and zenith means the point directly overhead. True or False?
5) Where did the last solar eclipse (longest) of the 20th century occur and what was its duration?
Answer: Romania, 2 minutes, 58 second.
6) Name the son of Jishnu, the most famous astronomer of India in the medieval period?
7) What are the major elements necessary for, without which no ‘observation’ is possible?
Answer: Astronomical charts and instruments.
8) The coloured part of the sun is the:
9) What were the things that ancient Hindus looked upon as the abode of God?
10) What did the ancient Indian astronomical Rishi’s believe in his heart about the stars?
Answer: They believed that the stars were the lights of religious men.
11) What is an isolated peak or point of light in the firmament?
Answer: A star.
12) The core of the sun has a temperature of approximately:
Answer: 16 million degrees.
13) What is the name given to a cluster of stars forming part of a constellation?
14) Which are the only things regarded by plane trigonometry?
Answer: Lengths & Angles.
15) Where are the Van Allen radiation belts found?
Answer: Around the Earth.
Astronomy Questions and Answers part 2 (16-30)
16) Which is the Nebula which is considered to be the remnant of a Super Nova explosion?
Answer: Crab Nebula.
17) Polaris will not always be the North Star because of ___
18) Where are the domes of Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory sited?
Answer: In the Andes foothills of Chile.
19) Which astronomical branch in astronomy was responsible for the discovery of Quasar galaxies and Polar stars?
Answer: Radio Astronomy.
20) The asteroid belt in our solar system is between the planets of:
Answer: Mars and Jupiter.
21) What is the full form of HST?
Answer: Hubble Space Telescope.
22) What is the full form of VLA?
Answer: Very Large Array.
23) The distance between the earth and the sun is about:
Answer: 150 million kilometers.
24) Where can we find the worlds largest radio telescope?
Answer: Arecibo, Puerto Rico.
25) The correct name for a ‘shooting star’ is a:
26) Which is the worlds largest radio telescope?
Answer: Keck Telescope.
27) Where in the world is the KECK telescope situated?
Answer: At Mauna Kea, Hawaii.
28) Another name for an exploding meteor is a bolide. True or False
29) Where in the world can we find the oldest existing observatory?
Answer: In South Korea.
30) When was the oldest existing observatory of South Korea, said to have been built?
Answer: In AD 72.
Astronomy Quiz Questions and Answers Part 3 (31-50)
31) Who is considered as the father of astronomy?
Answer: Nicolaus Copernicus.
32) The sun is composed of the gases hydrogen and:
33) What is the temperature of the Photosphere?
Answer: 5,500 0 C (9,900° F).
34) What is the shape of the planets orbit?
Answer: Oval (Elliptical).
35) Where do you find faculae?
Answer: On the sun.
36) ‘Of all-stars he is supremely brilliant’. Here which star constellation is expressed by the world ‘he’?
Answer: The Orion.
37) A refracting telescope has large lenses and a reflecting telescope has a large main mirror. True or False?
38) Which is the US probe that helps in providing valuable evidence for the Big Bang Theory?
Answer: US COBE.
39) The theory that the universe is continually being created at various parts of the universe is the:
Answer: Steady State Theory.
40) What is the full form of COBE?
Answer: Cosmic Background Explorer.
41) When was the faulty mirror of Hubble telescope launched in 1990 repaired?
42) The theory that the universe originated from a gigantic explosion of a central large and dense mass is the:
Answer: Big Bang Theory.
43) What produces energy in star?
Answer: Nuclear reaction in core.
44) Name one star that belongs to the group of the yellow star?
45) When can the planets not be seen from Earth?
Answer: During conjunction.
46) What is the very first step in the evolution of a star?
Answer: Gas cloud.
47) What is the name given to the miraculous end of a star?
48) The estimated age of the universe is:
Answer: Between 7 and 20 billion years old.
49) The last comet of the 20th century was called by a name. What was that name?
Answer: Halley’s Comet.
50) A crescent moon means that the moon is nearly in its full phase. True or False?